Thursday, September 8, 2011

Do you feign to Know?

Now the word of the Day for Friday, July 22, 2011, was feign, which I’m pretty sure you all know, means:
1. To represent fictitiously; put on an appearance of.
2. To invent fictitiously or deceptively, as a story or an excuse.
3. To make believe; pretend.
Again, a pretty straightforward and common word and meaning, I believe. So today I’m not asking if you know what it means, but rather if you do it more than you should?
Yes, sometimes it can be helpful to feign or pretend you know or understand something. But quite often that can also lead to disastrous consequences when you are left to do so, and not only can’t, but muck it up badly in the trying!
This is becoming more noticeable to me as my hearing starts to go in the lower ranges and I am often tempted to feign understanding, even when I don’t always hear what was being said. However I have learnt that often what I think I have heard, is not what was actually said, but something of my own imagination. Thus I have found it much wiser and safer, not to feign understanding, and not to be embarrassed to ask them to explain themselves again. And even again if necessary!
So, if you are ever in a situation, whether like that or not, but one where you are tempted to feign understanding or knowledge that you don’t really have, please don’t!
Again, if you don’t really know what is going on, don’t feign knowledge or understanding that you don’t have, but check it out fully and do things properly. Or else, leave it for someone who can! What say you?

No comments: