Friday, July 22, 2011

Ball-peen, Ball-pein or Ball-pane Hammer?

Now I am one of the first to admit that my spelling is atrocious, and I think that Spell Checker is the greatest invention ever. Even if it does spell American and not proper English!
Anyway, the other day I wrote a blog (Over the top with the sledgehammer I think.) in which I mentioned a Ballpeen Hammer. Which the spell check rejected. So I looked up the online dictionary to find out its proper Spelling; only to discover that there actually was no one way of spelling it.
And then on Wikipedia, I discovered this: “A ball-peen (also spelled pein and pane) hammer, also known as a blacksmith's, engineer's or machinist's hammer, is a type of peening hammer used in metalworking. It is distinguished from a point-peen hammer or chisel-peen hammer by having a hemispherical head. Though the process of peening has become rarer in metal fabrication, the ball-peen hammer remains useful for many tasks, such as striking punches and chisels.”
So not only is a ball-peen Hammer a mighty handy tool, but it also has many names and spellings of names too. Yet despite all that, I still managed to Spell it wrong. Told you my spelling was atrocious! (Which funnily enough, I can spell without help!) How’s your spelling?

7 comments:

Klaus or Klaus Vokie said...

Hy , Walter !
My name is Klaus ! I went to Maitland Boys High , NSW ,way back and we had Woodworking and Metalworking Classes and I learned that it is a Ball-Pane Hammer , never a Pein/Pain? or Peen Hammer ! That is the Australian English I guess ! I was born in Germany , came to Australia in January 1955 (I was 10 Years of Age but turned 11 that April) with my Siblings and my Parents ! I had to learn as everyone else had to learn English ! To me there was Only the English/Australian English ! I only found out Yesterday, 10th July 2019 that the Ball Pane Hammer was spelled differently to what I knew it to be spelled ! NO ! Your Spelling is NOT Atrocious ! It is the Americanism Language that likes to Dominate in Spell Checker and everywhere else ! I stick to my Australian PROPER ENGLISH Language and never mind their ways in Spelling ! Spell Checker ? On my Smart/Arsed Phone << that is what I call these Phones that Run your Life or Ruin it ? So , yes , Spell Checker on any of my Phones and on my Wifeys Phone is DISABLED ! I cannot stand it when we have Names that the American Application System Rejects and spells differently ! Apparently it was great work that You were doing in your Life , as I read in your Blog ! You say that You are retired now ? I hope the Rest of Your Life treats You well ! I make it that your Age is around the 73 mark ? Me , I am 75 Years Young since last April ! When I am Old , I am in my Grave , not before !
I am on Facebook , in Messenger as Klaus Vokie if You would like to drop me a line ?
Cheers Walter !

Walter parker said...

Thanks Klaus. Still in my late 60's for another year and a bit. I will see if I can find you on Facebook. Not on Messenger myself.Life is good again now
. (After a recent fall and resulting fracture in jaw.)

Klaus or Klaus Vokie said...

Gee , Walter ! One needs to be more careful and really think the next move through before switching ! Happened to me to , I fell out of my Tree ,lol but all good , that was when I was around your 66 Years of Age , just a silly move and it could have cost me my Life or the rest of my Life in a Wheel Chair , I was Bloody Lucky ! Thank You for your reply to me , Walter ! Ahh , Facebook is easy if one is already on it and one only needs to download the Facebook Messenger for Free ! Cheers Walter !

Walter parker said...

Facebook may be easy for you Klaus but not for me. I am on it though.Stay well.

Klaus or Klaus Vokie said...

You stay Well too , Walter ! It depends on ones outlook to perhaps achieve the little things ! Try , and try again ! Never give in , never give up , no matter what ! We are put on this Planet by Choice (mostly)
and we just need to make the most of it however we can !😇

Walter parker said...

thanks Klaus.

Unknown said...

Hi Walter, did you ever get on Facebook and become friends with Klaus?