Monday, June 13, 2011

That’s why I’m here.

Was listening to a CD of James Taylor’s greatest hits, when I was struck by the words of one of his lesser known songs, “That’s why I’m here.” Whilst the full lyrics don’t always make sense, to me at least, I was struck by the chorus.
Below is the first stanza & Chorus.
“Person to person and man to man
I'm back in touch with my long lost friend
listen to reason and understand
and think of me from way back when
he said me and Melissa well we fell out of love
we ran out of luck seems like lightning struck
I've been thinking of leaving but I can't raise a buck
James I’m wondering could I borrow your truck
I said that's why I’m here
got no other reason
that's why I’m standing before you
that's why I’m here.”
Here is another verse, also relevant to my point today:
“Fortune and fame's such a curious game
perfect strangers can call you by name
pay good money to hear fire and rain
again and again and again
some are like summer coming back every year
got your baby got your blanket got your bucket of beer
I break into a grin from ear to ear
and suddenly it's perfectly clear
that's why I'm here.”
As I thought on these words and James’* reaction, even to doing the same old thing, over and over again, year after year, I couldn’t help but wonder how many of us, myself included, have that same attitude of helping others in need when asked? Or whether, even if we do help them out, only do so begrudgingly?
So today’s thought is, have you really thought of why you are really here? Is it really just to be helped and waited on by others? Or is to help in return where and when you can? That’s why I’m here, but what about you?
*By the way did you catch the name of James’ Hit song? It is not difficult even if it is true he has had a few, including a couple of covers, here in Oz! Here are five for you: “Yes, sweet baby James will tell you, that even if you have to go through fire and rain, you have a friend. Even if it is only the handyman up on the roof!”

No comments: