Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Is Your Life a Rubric?

The Word of the Day for Monday, September 6, 2010 was rubric. Now’ Rubric's’ origin relates to its colour and has as its source, the Latin ‘rubrica’ which is, "red ochre."
However, whatever and despite its original source, what it means to us now, is any of the following, but most commonly the first:
1. A title, heading, or the like, written or printed in red or otherwise distinguished from the rest of the text.
2. A direction for the conduct of divine service.
3. Any established mode of conduct or procedure.
Not sure how to relate the third meaning to us now, but looking at the first two meanings, I couldn’t help but relate them to our lives and thus wonder whether we /I am firstly otherwise distinguished from the rest of Humanity, like we sometimes think? Or whether there is absolutely nothing different about me that distinguishes me from most if not all others are, instead of how God made us /me to be?
Then secondly, I couldn’t help also wondering whether I really give direction for others like God called me too? Or whether I simply follow others because it is easier?
So today’s question was, "Is your life a rubric?" That is, is your life a rubric for others, in that it stands out and gives direction and points the way? I would like to to think mine is, but am not sure! What about you? And who around you, can you now be a rubric to and for? Again, over to you for serious reflection now.

No comments: