Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Do you Grok me?

The Word of the Day for Monday, April 5, 2010, was “Grok”, and apparently a slang word meaning: “To understand, especially in a profound and intimate way.”
Apparently, “The slang word grok was coined by Robert A. Heinlein in the science fiction novel "Stranger in a Strange Land", where it is a Martian word meaning literally "to drink" and metaphorically "to be one with".
Personally, I can’t quite grasp the connection between the now common usage and the original meaning, which means I don’t grok why anyone would want to use a word like grok, for any other reason than to be pretentious? Or, like me, in trying to make a point! My Point? To try and use everyday words (where possible) that are plain and not open to either misinterpretation or pretentiousness. Well, that is my point for today, but do you grok me? Truly?

No comments: