Sunday, November 2, 2008

How prepared are we for the task at hand?

Recently read in an –mail that Abraham Lincoln was quoted as having said, "If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." Considering that as a young man Lincoln had split rails with an axe, I would say He knew the value of what he was saying and he knew the value of staying sharp. The article then went onto say that, “ Wisdom always prompted him to prepare - whether he was getting ready to cut wood, study law on his own to pass the bar, or lead the nation.”
Now I am not going to claim that I too was an expert axe man in my younger days, but I have used enough axes to appreciate the value of a sharp one and to appreciate Abe’s word’s of wisdom here. And of course as the above article indicates, this applies to mental ability and plans as well as just physical axes, doesn’t it?
So today as you plan to go about your normal every day business, just how much time have you spent in the sharpening of your “axes”?

No comments: