Saturday, September 27, 2008

Do You Need To Walk In Someone Else’s Shoes For A While?

How often in life do we see things from the outside looking in, and without seeing or knowing all the facts, make judgments and form opinions about other people or things? Sometimes we may be right too, but many times we really do need to just stop and think and try and see things from the other side too and not just from our own small worldview, before we form those opinions, don’t we?
Back in 1970, Joe South wrote and sang, “If I could be you and you could be me for just one hour. If we could find a way to get inside each other's mind. If you could see you through my eyes instead of your ego. I believe you'd be surprised to see that you'd been blind. Walk a mile in my shoes walk a mile in my shoes Yeah, before you abuse, criticize and accuse. Walk a mile in my shoes.”
I think that this is very sound advice for, as Joe goes on to say further in the song, “So unless you've lived a life of total perfection. Mm-mm, you'd better be careful of every stone that you should throw. Yet we spend the day throwin' stones at one another. 'cause I don't think or wear my hair same way you do. Well, I may be common people but I'm your brother. Ad when you strike out and try to hurt me, it’s a 'hurtin you.”
So I urge you today, even if you don’t know the song or even Joe, to learn from his words of wisdom in it and learn, even if for only “one hour” to walk a mile in the other person’s shoes and see life from their perspective too. For as Joe also says, when you are hurting others. you are only ultimately hurting yourself too, so, “Yeah, before you abuse, criticize and accuse. Walk a mile in the other person’s shoes.” Yes, just not mine please, you might just stretch them!!!!!
Now seriously, yes we all need to walk in other people’s shoes for a while too! Will you do that before you speak next time?

No comments: