Friday, June 20, 2008

Life. A time Limited Offer. 12/6/2008

Back in my last job, selling newspapers at the Railway Station Kiosk at Croydon, I used to avail myself of the opportunity to scan each of the 4 main Papers that were sold there each day. Checking out the world news, the Cricket and my Footy team, and of course the comics.

One I came across then that I had not known before was in the Age Newspaper and called, “For better or Worse”: by Lynn Johnson. It was /is one of those comic strips based on one family’s life. Not the sort of comic that normally appeals to me but this one did. And one of the losses of my past job since too, as we don’t buy the Age ourselves, preferring the other major Melbourne paper. So for the past 12 months I have missed out on reading this interesting comic. The other day I was looking something up on the Net and came across a site for comic strips, and on this site was one for “For better or worse” and offering free daily comics, so I have now re-acquainted myself with the strip.

On June 12 the strip was about the family’s ailing grandfather and one granddaughter said, “I wish he wasn’t so frail. I wish he would just live forever.” To which her father replied,” That’s what makes life so precious Hon…We …all of us… are a “Time-limited offer.”

Is that how you also see life? As a time limited offer, and one that needs to be taken full advantage of now while we have the time and energies? Put another way are we really making the most of our lives now or are we simply coasting and putting off some of the more serious things that we know we should be doing now while we can and while this time limited offer is still on offer? What say you?

No comments: