Monday, April 14, 2008

Steve Miller Band.

Bob Miller was a well-known professional Musician in America around the middle of last century, and later past on his talent and love of performing to his son Steve, who went onto even greater fame in the early 70’s. Although a more than accomplished Musician, singer and songwriter, Steve wasn’t all that original or creative when it came to naming his band, finally giving it the simple moniker of “Steve Miller Band”. (After first being called, “The Steve Miller Blues Band!)

As stated above he/they were fairly successful in their time too and they had 5 big records that got considerable Australian airtime back in their prime. (Take the money and Run”; “Abracadabra”; “Rockin’ Me”. “The Joker”; Jet Airliner), plus and another better known for being later covered by Seal, called. “ Fly like an Eagle”)

Anyway, the other day I came across and bought a CD titled; ”Steve Miller Band, Young Hearts, Complete Greatest Hits.” Which had those 6 songs and another 17 that I had never heard before. Anyway playing it I was pleased with the original half dozen, but not particularly taken by the rest. Even my wife replied that she didn’t think that much of it when I played it in my car CD Player. However I left it in there and a few days later I found my wife bopping along to one of the songs that she at first said she didn’t like. When challenged she said that it was starting to grow on her. I knew what she meant! I too was starting to get a feel for some of these other songs as they too were starting to grow on me after a while.

Now I know that not all things that start to grow on you are necessarily good, but I couldn’t help wondering if there were other things in life that I may have missed out on because I never gave then a fair trail to start with.

I hasten to add right here, that I am not actually encouraging you to go out and buy a Steve Miller Band CD! It hasn’t grown on me that much! But maybe there are some things in your life that you too need to either give another go to, or at least give them a fair go to start with? What say you?

No comments: