Saturday, April 12, 2008

My introduction to the Music of the 50’s & 60’s.

Although I spent all my teen years in the 60’s and enjoy that music greatly, I also lived in a generation that was still enjoying the best of the “56 Rockers”. (Who changed and influenced the music world so greatly.) So although I was a generation later than many of these artists at their peak, I still got to enjoy the best of their Music. In fact if you were to look at my old Record collection and now CD collection, you will find mostly “Greatest Hits” and “ Best Of “ albums among my collection and very few original Album releases.

One reason for this is that often I like particular songs and not particular artists per se’ and so a “Best Of” or “Greatest Hits” Album, gives me “all” from them that I really like, and not a lot of songs that I don’t particularly like. For that reason I also like compilation Albums/CD’s with the best songs of various artist. (My collection has a lot of those too!)

My children on the other hand, tend to buy artists they like and first releases too, rather than wait for "Best Of's", etc, like their dear old Dad, hence they pay full price for them. Me, I buy the cheaper ones, hence they are always complaining that although I started buying CD’s after them, I still have twice as many as them. I try and tell them that although I may have twice as many, I only paid half as much or less for mine.

Also if you were to look at my collection, there would be very few names familiar to most people today, as I still prefer the music of my youth, to most of that available today. Even when I hear an old song re-covered today, I still tend to prefer the original, best.

What about you? Are you happy with the “Golden Oldies” of your youth (whatever that might be) or are you continually looking for the new, all the time.

Sometimes when I listen to some of the old songs, I may shake my head and wonder why I used to love that particular song so much then but now find it so trite! So, I am not saying that all that is old is good, nor am I saying that all that is New is bad, but is the new always worth the extra cost to buy, particularly when oft times, it is simply the old re-packaged, or should I say “Re-mixed”, which seems to be the Buzz word in the music industry theses days? What say you? Walter

No comments: