Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The mechanic and the surgeon.

Got this story of the net and love it: A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Harley motorcycle when he spotted a well-known heart surgeon in his shop. The surgeon was there, waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his bike. The mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey, Doc, can I ask you a question?" The surgeon a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic working on the motorcycle.
The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take valves out, fix 'em, put 'em back in, and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?" The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic... "Try doing it with the engine running."
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I have been like that Motor mechanic and have compared myself to others that I think are doing the same as me but getting paid more for it. And Like the mechanic, I have had to have pointed out to me that what I was doing was with the Motor switched off, while what they were doing was like with the motor switched on.
Sometimes we have to take the advice that Joe South gave us in his song, “Walk a mile in my shoes.”
That advice? “Before you accuse, criticize and abuse, walk a mile in my shoes!” I think that is very valid advice don’t you? Yes, from a distance, the things various people do, like with the mechanic and the surgeon, may look and sound the same at first glanse, but when we look at them properly from the other person’s perspective, the difference is as great as that between working on a motor when it is running and when it is not. What say you? Walter

No comments: