Saturday, March 1, 2008

Joe Dolan’s Gone Searching For A Good Looking Women.

I realize that it is two months after the event but I have just read of Joe Dolan’s passing on December 26th last year. I only remember Joe for one song late in the sixties here in Australia, called “Your Such A Good Looking Women”. (Not a great singer but not a bad song in my humble opinion.)

It was my understanding, until I read the article in the paper, that he was a one-hit wonder. (In Australia, if not in his own country Ireland.) So I was surprised to find that this was actually his third and not his first hit in Australia during the 60’s. (The others being, “Make Me An Island” & Teresa.) He also had a couple of more Chart toppers in 77 & 81, & a successful Album in 96, although I had never heard of any of them, other than “Your such a good Looking Women”.

Thus my opinion of Joe and his talent, was based on just one item in a much wider menu that I knew nothing about. How often do we make that same mistake? Instead of getting to know someone or something properly and consider their whole and wider body of work, we base our whole reaction on just one part or small aspect of their wider repertoire. We, or at least I, need to make a more thorough assessment of their whole work or possibilities, instead of judging them or it, a small and maybe even non- typical part of their wider works.

It seems Joe has been performing around the world until shortly before his passing at 64. So, no, he didn’t loose anything by my lack of recognition, but maybe I have missed out in experiencing all that Joe had to offer.

Now I don’t wish to put too much emphasis on the place of music and singing here, but just simply want to warn about the possible losses in our lives when we don’t fully assess or recognise certain things or talents in others. Sometimes they will lose out from this and at other times we will be the losers. But wouldn’t it be much better if we were all a little more thorough in our assessments in the first place, so that every one can be winners?

(Vale: Joe Dolan Oct.16, 1943 – Dec.26, 2007.)

No comments: