Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Computers! Great when working, not so great when not!

Well here I am again after an enforced Break. Switched my computer off as normal last Thursday night, but on the Friday morning, couldn’t switch it on no matter how hard I tried. Of course our one and only son and computer “fix-it” was away for the Easter weekend, so I couldn’t get any help there, could I? His older sister suggested ringing a couple of her/their cousins for advice and help, which I followed up on. Fortunately one was able to help me, just not the one I/we had thought of, that’s all.
Anyway he soon diagnosed that the problem was the power board and that I needed a new one, which of course I couldn’t get till the shops re-opened Tuesday on. Anyway he used his computer to open the files that I needed for Sunday’s Service and got me out of trouble there and then. Yesterday when the shops reopened I was able to get the new part and have it installed. So now it is now back on and working with a new Power board and me a few dollars lighter.
Anyway my problem on Friday was that I had material in the computer that I needed and no way of getting them out over the holidays with my son unavailable to help me and I had to turn elsewhere for help, with no idea where to turn too. Had my younger daughter also not been away for the weekend, I would have turned to her next.
In all honesty, had I not been in desperate strife, I would not have turned to my first born as she is not noted in our household as much help when it comes to problems with the computer. Helping use various programs and such, Oh yes, but providing solutions or help in fixing problems? NO! However she was able to point me in the right direction.
In trying to track down one of those person’s of possible help that she had indicated, I had to go through his house mate (and another relative,) to reach him, only to find that this first person, much to my surprise knew as much, if not more about computers, as the one I was trying to Contact. Although I know this young man very well and have called on him many times for help and advice with my fish, I was not aware of His computer competence too, and had always considered the other Guy to be the so-called expert.
I know I have written about this before, but I was again guilty of only seeing one dimension of a persons abilities and expertise and in my mind at least, didn’t think he could do much else, especially when he was overshadowed by someone else in that field.
What about you? Are you perhaps guilty of the same thing of overlooking someone’s expertise, simply because you associate them with some other area of talent and who are normally overshadowed in another field (which they might even be better at) because you automatically associate someone else as being better.
Last Friday I was guilty of under estimating the help that both my daughter and my Nephew were able to give. Yet both very graciously helped me despite my initial snub of them both. Thank you both heaps. I sincerely thank you both for your graciousness as well as your help!

No comments: