Monday, February 25, 2008

Lynx’s Tips On Writing.

Following some earlier comments of mine about writing blogs, I received the following from my blogger friend Lynx that I will pass onto you for your own consideration too!

Lynx wrote: ”Here's a tip I was given, and I'll pass on. You're not writing this blog for everyone else. You write it for you, it's YOUR ideas. Whether you have 1 reader or 1 million readers isn't the point. And besides, not everyone who reads comments. I don't even all the time. BUT as long as it's what you like, and you enjoy doing it, by all means DO IT. The rest will come around, or they won't. But your ideas will remain in the blogosphere long after you leave it. Enjoy what you do, and know those of us who read it enjoy it too.
I used to fret time and time again about no one reading my blogs, first on MSN then on Yahoo. That's why both of them no longer exist. No one wanted my jokes, and no one liked my politics. So I shut them down. My problem was that I was too focused on who I was trying to get to read.
When I opened my google blog, none of my friends thought I'd keep it either. But I made a promise to myself that it'd be what I wanted, not what anyone who claimed to be my friend wanted it to be. I have a couple people from back then that drop by now and then, but my blog friend circle is totally different, and I love it, because they read because they like what I have to say, or at least are curious as to what I'm up to and/or rambling about. But it's MY blog. If I want a team blog, I can set one up. But my blog is MY blog, and your blog is YOUR blog, not mine, even though I love it, so much that if I haven't read any blogs in a few days, yours is one of the first I check up on (along with Kahless, Katy, and Tom, among others). There's a reason, and it's not just because we agree a lot*. It's because you speak your mind, and it's what YOU want to talk about.
So keep on blogging my friend, and remember, only you know what's in that noggin, and anyone that claims that they know needs to be given a swift kick! It's your head, your blog, and your corner of this vast world we call the internet.”

So for any others out there who might be experiencing some self-doubts about your abilities, whether it be in writing or anything else, read and learn from these words of Lynx and where necessary put them into action in your own life and career. Take care and enjoy what you do, and do it well! Walter (& Lynx)

* We probably disagree on more things than on what we agree, but we disagree amicably with it!

No comments: