Saturday, February 16, 2008

Confidence Comes with Experience.

Whilst in Africa my mother started writing to me once a week and if I didn’t answer back she would tell me rather subtlety in the next letter or two, “No letters to answer back this week*”. So I soon got the hint that she expected me to write every week.

At first it was hard to find things to write about, but the more experiences we had over there the more there was to write about and sometimes I would have to tell only half the story for fear of ending up with a book sized letter.

In our 12 years in Transkei and South Africa, it usually wasn’t that hard to find enough to fill a one or two page letter, as although many things there were similar to Australia there was also many differences, so there was lots of Interest to write about.

Coming back to Australia, not only did I not have to write weekly to my mother but I also started to struggle to find enough information to fill an annual Newsletter to our previous supporters.

Now that I am writing simple blogs, I am able to draw on all areas of my life for these blogs, as they are short and there is no need to try and be chronological or in any sort of order.

So my suggestion to others who wish to write, even do anything else, is simply to write about (or do) what you know, and have experienced or have a real feeling or connection too.

Well that’s my thought for today. What’s yours and whom are you going to write it to?

* In my defense, later on I was able to legitimately blame the Postal service, because later she would write something like, “Three letters to answer this week two, recent and one fro 3 or 6 months back. So you see it wasn’t always my fault!”

No comments: