Thursday, January 31, 2008

Unique yes, but worth copying?

Last year I did a short blog called "What if everyone was like ….": Asking how we would feel if everyone else was exactly like us. And to which I received the following reply:” I don't want anyone to be like me! I like being unique!”

Whilst I think it is a good point to remember that we are all unique in our own special way, and that we should always be uniquely ourselves, I think that at the same time we have to make sure that we are a unique and valuable part of society too. No one can exist by themselves. I know that there are many times when we wish to be alone, but we also need to be part of the wider society too.

All of us should be making a contribution of some sort with our lives to society at large and to those around us in particular. Being unique and unwanted and unloved and unvalued is not fun. Yes we are to be unique, but on the other hand, we do also, knowingly or unknowingly, set examples for others to follow and my point is, what happens if others around us, started copying us fully? Do you really want to be surrounded by people who are exact or even slightly imperfect copies of us?

You may not want to be copied but you will anyway, whether subconsciously or consciously. Many people will see and hear what you say and do and use your behaviour to justify their own, if it is bad; Others may emulate or even try and better it, if it is good. But what if they copy just our bad points?

Would we, would you, put up with it? Yes we can put up with ourselves because we are unique, but doesn’t that also imply that we should also put up with others who are closely similar to us, rather than brush them off, like I suspect most of us do, because, ”They are too like us”? Well I have had my say. What say you? Walter

No comments: