Saturday, January 12, 2008

Small Stuff In A Big Way.

As said in a previous Blog, my American Blogger friend Lynx and I exchange e-mails on occasion, and part of the most recent was this: “Between the two of us we've tackled almost every issue there is to tackle, big and small. It's not something two little bloggers half the world away from each other can normally say, but between the two of us, we've tackled it all. You stick to the small stuff normally, …” In my last item I spoke of the advantages of Teamwork. Here I wish to look at the Subject of small things.

Some have said that if you take care of all the little things while they are little, then there will be no big problems later. I think that this is great advice having seen what happens when living in a culture where maintenance seems to be a foreign concept. When the first screw fell out of the hinge, nothing was done. When all the screws fell out of the Hinge nothing was done. When the hinge came off, nothing was done. When the other hinge broke, again nothing was done for as while; until someone did do something. They stole the door! This was on a schoolroom used daily and it was without a door for a couple of years after that, so don’t despise or neglect the small things.

Many years ago, shortly after I became a Christian at the age of 29, I bought a wall hanger that resonated with me. It said, “Lord, I may never do any big thing, but help me to do little things in a big way.”

That has always been part of my philosophy ever since and I have found that it works for me.

Oh sure all of us would love to do or to have done, something big that others will always remember, but remember many people also notice and appreciate the small things you do too, and judge you more on them than on any big thing you may do.

So never despise the little things and take care of them before they become large problems. Do the little things as of they were big things and see what happens.

So again as we are starting of another New Year, ask yourself, “What little things can I do this year or even this month, in a BIG Way?”

No comments: