Monday, January 28, 2008

Are We All Just Too Sensitive These Days?

Today I would like to tell you the story of the three Little Pigs. I would like too, but I can’t! You see, some have now decided that that story is too insensitive to both Muslims and Builders!

A digital version of the story, called “Three Little Cowboys Builders” in Britain, won an education resource award, but was rejected for another award run by the British Government’s technology agency for schools. Apparently the judging panel rejected the story because it was concerned it would offend both Muslims and builders.

They rejected the book because the use of pigs raised cultural issues and that it implied all builders were cowboys; that builders got their work blown down, and that builders were like pigs.

Now I do realise that it would not hurt if we were all a little more sensitive to others, but there is a limit and one has to draw the line somewhere. I mean if Pigs are really offensive to Muslims (As they are also to Jews,) should we not then ban pigs altogether and wipe every single pig off the face of the earth and remove every mention of them from every book and movie etc? I mean that seams to be the only end for their logic to me!

The other point that comes to mind is that as the story of the three pigs and their self-built houses have been around now for hundreds of years, so why is it only now that they are objectionable?

Again, if we follow this logic to its natural end, we soon will not be able to write or say anything about anyone from any other group or profession other than the one we are in, for fear of upsetting someone somewhere. Fair is fair, I know, but don’t push it to extremes, says I. What say you?

2 comments:

Lynx217 said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, PC (political correctness) is BS (bulls***) and will kill any modern country, IMHO.

Walter parker said...

Amen, Sister, Amen? So keep on preaching it, Sister!
More humbly I do agree that there can be times when we can take things too far, but mostly it is the PC Police that are the ones that reach the real extremes.