Monday, September 3, 2007

What a Difference A Phone call Makes!

For the past few weeks we have been looking for a suitable house for the church to rent for us, as both a residence and a part-time church Office come storage area. It has been more frustrating and stressful than I had originally expected. There were some that looked suitable on paper but location, accessibility, and parking, often crossed them off before even getting inside. Suitable houses in the area we wanted just weren’t there, and so very quickly we had to expand the search area.

Well, finally we looked at/in a house that looked suitable and found it quite acceptable although as I said, outside of our original desired area. Well, we saw it on a Tuesday afternoon along with a dozen or so, other potential renters. Liking it, we completed all the paperwork and submitted the application by noon of the next day. Upon asking when we could expect to hear if we had been accepted, I was told that we should know by Friday.

Well that week I had been laid very low by the flu bug currently going around here, and as such had spent as much of the week in bed as I could. I was back in bed on Thursday morning, feeling rather low with the flu and a headache, when the phone rang. It was the Rental agent ringing to say that they had had 5 applications from that showing, and the final selection came down to just two of us. At that stage I thought I was getting the polite brush-off and really wasn’t in the mood for a long explanation. However my mood quickly changed when he said that we had got it and that they wanted us to come in some time and fill out the paper work.

One moment I am in my sick bed resenting even the intrusion of even a phone call, and the next, I am ready to go down town straight away, but had to wait another hour and a half because they weren’t ready.

Thinking about it later I was amazed at the change in my attitude in such a quick time and later still wondered how often we perhaps suffer more than we need to, just because we let the circumstances of the time get us down and not look at things a little more positively.

True I was still sick and later had to rest to recover from the exertion of the trip down town, so physically I was still no better, but! But physiologically I was a heck of a lot better mentally and much more positive in outlook.

I now look forward to further opportunities to put this new theory to the test and look to being more positive, even in my more negative moments. What say you?

2 comments:

Lynx217 said...

Sometimes a positive attitude is all it takes, not necessarily because of "mind over matter" but because a positive attitude makes you do things that you wouldn't do in a grumpy mood.

Walter parker said...

That's the point I was trying to get across Lynx. Having a positive attitude and looking at how to make the best of a bad situation instead of, to quote my daughter"Cracking the sads", everything doesn't quite go as planned.