Sunday, September 16, 2007

Some ways to deal with Non Communicative people.

Recently I was asked how I dealt with non-communicative people. Now I guess there are about as many responses to this question as there are people on the planet, but the following has always held me in good stead.

The first thing to remember is that even though people may not communicate with you, it may and usually is, nothing personal. It is just that they have other concerns and thus don’t really notice you, until or unless you make them notice you.

Again there are many ways to do that but most I wouldn’t recommend. The one I do recommend really is just a version of the golden rule of treating others, as you would have them treat you.

So firstly when ever you meet people, whether for the first time or the hundredth; whether in passing or as part of a formal group, always greet others with a smile and a brief word of greeting. If you know their name use it, even if they don’t know you. It is as simple as that, and

I have found this trick usually works a treat.

When it doesn’t you don’t worry about it or take it as a personal rejection, you just move on. You will find that there are a few genuinely uncommunicative people out there but most aren’t and many will take up the opportunity to communicate with you, if you show yourself to be of the communicative type.

Again, don’t worry about those who don’t respond positively to your initial responses, just move on and look for the others.

So every time I see someone in passing, I cheerily greet them with a “Good Morning” and simply pass on. Once you have done this a few times it really gets their attention more than if you ignored them them.

So summarising the above,

  1. If you want people to notice you, you first have to notice them.
  2. If you know someone’s name use it.
  3. Never wait for the other person to say hello first.
  4. Let whatever happens next, happen.
The above approach has worked for me. What has been your approach and the results? Walter

1 comment:

Lynx217 said...

...and remember, some people are just shy!

btw, YOU'RE TAGGED! :p see my blog