Sunday, August 12, 2007

Religion is for Fools.

While we were at the Philip Island Baptist Church Service last month, their little in-house Book Store did a sales pitch on is a small little book called “Religion is for fools,” by an Australian author, Bill Medley. Despite being written by an Australian, it is published both here, in the UK and the USA. In Australia it was originally published by Viva Press. In the UK and US, it is put out by Monarch Books and distributed in the US by Kregel Publications (P.O. 2607, Grande Rapids, Michigan 4951.)

In fact this copy was published in America, hence all the above information was available to me. I am passing this onto you because I think it is a book for all Christians and non-Christians to check out. Now when I say it is a small little book, I mean it is a small little book! Just a fraction bigger than pocket size (unless you have extra large pockets), and only 160 pages long!

It is written by a former Australian Comedian (No, I had never hard of him either!) Now although I have never heard of him before, he obviously has a sense of humour like mine. (Which could explain why no one has ever heard of him, too!)

Anyway it is short and simply written, in the form of a letter (A long one admittedly, hence it is in 8 chapters with 8 short appendixes at the end. Actually, the appendixes occupy half as many pages as the main text!) Anyway, Bill claims to have been a sceptic originally and wary of “organized religion” when he started to examine the claims of the 5 leading Religions. (Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism & Islam.)

He now uses this research to answer his sister in law, who is still searching for answers and is still where he was originally. As I say it is only a short book so obviously there is not a lot of in-depth material in it, but I still think it is worth a look if you get the chance, whether you are a Christian, a non-Christian or someone else.

If you have already checked it out I would be very interested in your opinion, even if you hate it. If you have not read it and you do get the chance to check it out, please let me know what you think sometime: Walter

No comments: