Saturday, August 11, 2007

Good For My Cardiovascular.

While I was having my recent assessment with a Neurologist, I was told that Bike riding was out and that I should take up swimming. Not happy with that choice, I enquired about the merits or dangers of “just walking”.

I was told that as far as my back was concerned, walking was benign and would neither help or hinder my back, but would be good for my heart --- Actually what she said was, “Walking would be good for your Cardiovascular ---“. I didn’t hear much more after that as I was wondering what the heck my “Cardiovascular was.

My first thought was to ask for an English translation, but then I realized she meant my heart.

This led me to thinking how many times in the past I have been guilty of the same thing. Guilty of using the correct word but perhaps not the most common word, nor the word most commonly understood by most hearing or reading me?

Plenty apparently as I was at one period of my life, many years ago, often being told not to use so many big words when I wasn’t even aware that I was. How about you?

Are we (you & I) always aware, even to the point of sometimes dumbing down, to make sure that the people we are trying to communicate with get the message that we want them to hear?

Or do they usually need a dictionary or more time than we allow, to try and digest and understand what we are saying. Things that may actually benefit them greatly in the long run if they could but understand them? What say you?

I must add that the above does not stop me using the odd big word or two at times (like in a recent blog) just that I am now more careful and aware of my usage .How about you? Walter

1 comment:

Lynx217 said...

Can I add a couple tips about your back? Walking isn't the best for your back as it can eventually lead to more pain, unless you have custom-made shoes designed to minimize impact on your back - and they're not cheap! But sometimes I can't even walk 2 miles without my back starting! Also, if you want to try something herbal, White Willow is GREAT. And I've never heard of any side effects. It helps calm the pain nerves and that can help you do more and heal your back too as you're able to stretch more. Swimming is great, but that truly is more cardiovascular than back, though that allows you to walk and such without the impact on all your joints and bones. I know laying flat on the floor - no pillows or blankets underneath - helps my sciatic nerve, even if it hurts more at first. It tends after a few moments to start getting my composure back. Just a few tips, email me if ya got any questions.