Monday, June 18, 2007

Why Did They Doubt And Not Believe Me?

At the kiosk where I sell daily Newspapers, I get each day what the Supervisor considers, on past records and taking into account School Holidays and Public Holidays etc, the amount he thinks I will sell that day. The amount varies from Day to day but is in the 120-160 amount each day. Usually I bring a few back and some days I sell out. If I sell out early enough to warrant more being sent up I ring up with the amount that I think I need. Although once I did get 25 sent up, it is usually between 10 to 20 that I ask for.

This particular day it was obvious very early that I was going to run out and so I rang up to get some more and asked for 40.

Instead of having to wait for someone else to clock on down there in 20 minutes time before they could be sent up, one of my irregular Chatterers offered to go down and get them for me, as it is only a couple of hundred metres away. As he offered, I accepted, as I knew he wasn’t catching a train anyway.

I had over estimated and took 10 back at the end of my shift. But boy did I cop an interrogation of what did I do with all the papers? They wanted to know if I left a bundle in my car or something? I found out later that after I rang they went out the back to see if I left a bundle behind there. They could not believe that I had really sold all those papers. Thus they tried to explain the problem away by creating a more believable answer than the truth; that for some unknown reason, that one particular day only, I really did sell that amount of papers.

What about you? Do you sometimes find it more believable to look for other reasons than accept the truth, just because that particular thing has never happened before?

Are you a habitual doubter and need to have every minor item explained and spelt out before you will accept the unusual and the unexpected?

Had I not sent the chap down to get the 40 they would only have sent about 20 up and although I never sold the full 40, I did sell 30 extra papers that day. More than they would have if I had not been supplied with the requested amount but of a much lesser one of their doubts.

How often do your doubts restrict your rewards because you don’t trust the source?

I am not saying that you should trust everyone here but if a person has been trustworthy in the past then they should be backed where possible with the unexpected. Again this will sometimes have qualifications and exceptions, but what say you? Walter

No comments: