Sunday, June 24, 2007

Uniforms Are Good

In a previous blog, I wrote about Uniforms in South Africa, but what about Uniforms here?

I work for a small firm of about 20 employees, both full and part time workers. For well over a year now my employer has been talking about getting a uniform Shirt to identify the staff to customers. A few months back they actually got around to recording each employee’s size, including mine. And a month or so ago they finally arrived. Well some of them did but not one in my size.

A fact that didn’t displease me at all! Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later my size arrived and now, much to my reluctance, I now conform with the rest of my fellow workers. Now some people may like uniforms but I am not really one of them. What about you?

I know and fully accept that they identify us as belonging to a certain group, place, or organization. Thus saving people the embarrassment of having to ask, “Excuse me but do you work here?” So even though I am not a great fan of uniforms and like my anonymity, I wear the uniform proudly, not for my benefit but for the benefit of others. So that they, at a glance, can identify whether or not that I am a part of the group that they need to identify with, for whatever reason. Whether to buy stationary in my case, or for some other reason.

How do you feel about uniforms, especially as there are some real “Crappy” ones out there? Do you see them as good or bad? Or like me do you see them as an identifying part of your job? What say you?

No comments: