Tuesday, June 12, 2007

How Big Is Your Today?

The thought for the day of the Herald Sun Newspaper for June 6 was, “If what you have done yesterday still looks big to you, you haven’t done much today”.

It seems a good point to me and yet I wonder how many of us deliberately or otherwise, live in the past. Or to put it another way, live off past Glories.

To a large degree for the past few years, although I would claim not by choice, I have lived off my past history as a Missionary. At least as far as reflected glory goes. Unfortunately not financially.

Until recently I was happy to plug away at a no-brainer job, resting on my past laurels for recognition. Instead of getting out into the scary old world and making “New yesterdays’, I hid behind a no-brainer job. (Which I have to admit I will be a little sad to leave in part.) Shortly I will be leaving this safe haven and after a month’s rest, again facing the, to me, daunting task of making “New yesterdays”.

In going from an “ex-Missionary” to “a current pastor”, it will bring difficult tasks and challenges. Challenges that I am not totally sure I want, but ones that go with the job that I am sure I am being called to.

What about you? Have you been resting on past Glories? Have you been living in the past because it feels safer than the future or even the present? What is stopping you from making “New yesterdays”? Your fear? Or genuine lack of opportunities?

Up to now I can honestly claim that I have had plenty of nibbles but no genuine opportunities. All true and yet when the prospect really did come up, it took a lot of soul searching before I was sure it was the right step; despite the fact that the prospect of potential problems scares the life out of me. However as I do believe that He who is in me is greater than all my obstacles and that this is His leading, I am now actually looking forward to it. How about you? Is there something that you feel led to do but would rather hide in the safety of the shadows of your Yesterdays? Step out my friend. Step out and make new Yesterdays, Todays and even Tomorrows!!! Walter

No comments: