Saturday, June 9, 2007

Better or just more practice.

When in discussion with a fellow blogger I suggested that there might be a blog in the subject under discussion, Lynx replied with, ” I do think you're a much better writer, so it’s your topic.”
As far as I am concerned, I have no problem with doing a blog on the subject and even have one under way, but I have a problem with her claim that I am a much better writer than her, and therefore can do better than her. 

In many things, we let our perceived comparisons with others deter us fro trying something different or from holding back from higher levels of involvement. So when you feel intimidated by your perceived inferiority to others, work through the following areas before you make your final decision whether to do it or not.

  1. In the case of my writing, (fill in your own topic here,) is it really better than hers, or more simply a different style? Each of us has our own style of things and the sooner we learn and master our own styles, the better. Unless of course you want to be known simply as an impersonator!
  2. Often the people we perceive to be better are simply, more experienced. They are not necessarily better, it is just that they have been doing it longer.
  3. Unless we are absolutely brilliant to start with or so bad that we will never improve, nearly all of us will get better and more comfortable with what we are doing, the more we do it. Writing like any skill or talent, doesn’t improve if not used.
  4. 4. “Use It Or Loose It.” If we want to improve whatever skill we have, we have to exercise and use it. Again, at the risk of seeming to put myself down, I am not all that happy with my writing skills now, but I would be among the first to acknowledge that they are absolutely brilliant compared to when I was a 12 year trying to write one page, in large print to a prospective Pen pal. I really struggled to fill one page. Now they tell me I have problems keeping them shorter than a James Mitchener Novell.
  5. Finally when it comes to writing I think most authors will tell you that there first effort is never their final effort and they often have many rewrites before it is acceptable to publish. (Just like this one has had four going overs, and if IO don’t publish it now it never will be finished to my satisfaction.

It may come as a surprise to some but I too find writing hard, unless I know what I am writing about. So I think that the first secret of writing is to know what you are writing about and the second is just to get plenty of practice. Experience and confidence comes with time, so in the meantime, keep writing/working on things that you know, interest, excite, or annoy you. Anything that stirs some passion in/from you; write about that!

That’s all I do, the only advantage I have over Lynx is that I have close to 30 years more experience than here, with a 1/3rd of that time spent overseas, which gives me a little more experience from a different perspective to my normal one.

So to my friend and to you all out there, if you feel led to do something don’t be intimidated by how you think others will do it. Do it your way and keep at it till you reach your true potential. You may never write a Novel but I’m sure that you will improve to a standard that is acceptable to others, even if not to your own satisfaction.

I will close with a quote from today’s paper. A successful Business lady was asked.” What was the best piece of advice you have been given”? Her reply was one that resonated with me and I think should also with “Lynx”. The advice? “The only thing holding you back is your own self doubt.”

So, if you feel led to do something, don’t let your doubt hold you back. Just get out and do it? Yes, occasionally you may fail, but more often than not you will succeed far and above anything you expect.

3 comments:

Lynx217 said...

Aw you're so kind... and right.

Lynx217 said...

I apologize for the quick comment this morning, I was on my PDA about to go to sleep when I got your email. I had to go look, and I couldn't go to sleep without at least acknowledging I read it. I know age and experience has a lot to do with it, but so does having a strong opinion! My bf writes a LOT better than I as he's quite the opinionated one, but I tend to be able to write best only when I don't TRY to. Otherwise I'm self-editing way too much. I'm just not as good at critical writing as I am critical talking I guess. hehe. Anyways, thanks again for the compliment and thanks for once again inspiring a blog entry! :)

Walter parker said...

Hi Lynx,
No need to apologize for the original short reply. I thought it was sufficient and more than adequate, and it got a laugh out of me. I am thankful for every reply no matter how short, from anyone.

As to your comment, "I tend to be able to write best only when I don't TRY to". I think that that amplifies my point about writing/talking/whatever about the things that you know or excite you the most. It is really only when we are passionate about something that we put our all into it. That' is why I don't try and write about everything I see, but only on those that interest/excites me.

Anyway Lynx thanks again for the king words but don't give up writing just because you think others are better. Many people have logged on to your blog sight and keep coming back, so you must be doing something right, Hey?
Walter Parker