Saturday, May 12, 2007

Why Are You Late?

I received this reply to my “Fast. Slow. Or Stopped? “ Blog, and found it an interesting observation. What think thee?

“Your clock blog is interesting. It makes me remember what I learned in psychology.

The people who are always late to everything, it is a sign of rebellion against their mother.

Sometimes I think it is just a habit. Some say they are trying to get attention. They sure do from me because I think everyone should be punctual except in emergencies.

PS: I sound like a school teacher, don't I?”

As one who is habitually early, unless due to extra ordinary circumstances, it is a theory that I have never heard or considered before, but now that has been raised I am interested to know more. What say you?

In discussing this with my daughters, I got the two different viewpoints. As a budding Psychologist, our last-born said that there are in fact many social-logical factors involved, including simply trying to do more than you can properly, and one would have to exam each and every situation, to find the real reason for each person. (Sound real professional doesn’t it?)

Our first –born said it was an acquired habit. She then went onto say that she is always a few minutes early to every event, because she learnt it from her father, who in turn learnt it from his father, who said it was a sign of rudeness to the organisers (& others) to be late, with out due just cause.

Again. What say you? Why are you late: Because of: Rebellion; Habit; Attention seeking; laziness; inefficient planning, trying to do more than practical; some other reason? I know it is none of my business, but now the subject has been raised I am curious. What’s your thinking on the subject? Walter

P..S. Just thought of another reason: maybe they just don’t have a working clock!

No comments: