Thursday, May 17, 2007

Who Will You Influence?

I am still fascinated by the responses my “ Fast. Slow. Or stopped?” Blog and its successors have inspired.

This is the latest response to the follow up, “Why are you late? Trying to fit everything in and have a social life and have a house that doesn’t look like a pigsty can all be reasons for being late, but I will leave a mess if I need to be on time. The good/ bad influence of others plays a bigger part than I first thought, take work for instance. We had a boss who thought being 10 / 15 mines early was important so that you were on the floor so to speak at starting time, so the others could then have their break on time. Only one person was ever late. Bosses changed and so did the punctuality, and the moral fell, interesting point I think.”

In fact I think a few good points are made.

1. At times we all have valid excuses for being held up. But if the event is important enough, we can make the effort.

2. We are influenced greatly by the actions of others, even if subconsciously. And the more so if they are in positions of influence.

3. These influences can change with out our realizing it. Therefore we have to consciously work at some things more than we do others.

With those thoughts in mind I wonder if we really realize, that as we are influenced by others, (either to the good or bad,) we too influence others. Thus rather than asking why am I late, the real question I must ask myself, (allowing for the odd mistake here and there which we all make,) am I a better influence to the good than the other way? And you? Who are you influencing and which way? Walter

No comments: