Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Dabbs Greer Has Passed Away.

I read in the paper that 90-year-old Dabbs Greer died on April two. Now I think most of you would say, “ Never heard of Him. ”
Be that as it may, but if you have watched TV or the Movies over the past 60 years I’m sure that his face would be as familiar to you as it was to me.
Since starting as an extra in a 1938 Movie called “Jessie James’, Dabbs has been in over 100 movies including “The Green Mile”, and hundreds of TV episodes such as Gunsmoke, and Little House On The Prairie”.
Dabbs was never the star but he did the supporting role very well and usually played the “Everyman” roles such as bus drivers, shopkeepers and preachers, which is what he was in LHOTP.
As I reflected upon Dabbs life, I wondered how many of us will end up as widely recognised for our achievements, (even if not so widely known by name)? Dabbs may never have been the leading man, but he played a leading role in everything he did. Can the same be said of us? Are we too busy chasing the starring role, to be able to play a leading role in the background? Are you playing your designated role in life to your fullest, or are you being deflected by your desire for the starring role?
Dabbs life reminds me of an old poster I once had. It read, “ I may never be able to do great things but I can do small things in a great way.” Dabbs did, but can the same thing be said about you and me? Walter

No comments: