Friday, April 20, 2007

Squirrels or Possums, Both can be problems, but each has its own value.

One of my American friends recently asked if we had Squirrels over here. I explained no but we did have Possums. She then went on to describe the antics of the Squirrels in her yard, which I quote here:

We have just plain squirrel. I have probably 8-10 in my yard. I have a lot of trees and they play all day long. They build their nests in the trees real high up. They are eating all the time. They can become a nuisance, but are so cute. We keep holes filled that go to our attics because they are bad about chewing things. They jump from one tree to the other if they are close enough, and they can run like lightening. The latest thing bad I've heard about them is that they get into cars that sit out and chew on the wires. I keep mine in a garage. They eat acorns off my oak trees and bird seed. I have put out several bird feeders and they somehow figure out how to get into them for the food, or they get up there and shake it so they can have a feast on the ground. I paid a little extra to get a squirrel proof bird feeder. It was fixed so that when the squirrel stood on the rail, it swung around and threw the squirrel off. Well, not my squirrels. They figured out how to stand and eat anyway. They are very smart. They chase each other all over the yard. Well, so much for that.

I think yours (Sugar Gliders) look a lot like our bats. Our bats have webbed bodies. Our bats sleep all day and come out at dusk and eat our mosquitoes, but they never get them all.

PS: a lot of people eat our squirrels. I did as a kid.”

In reading the above I was struck by the similarity of behaviour between their squirrels and our possums, despite our Possums being Nocturnal animals.

It seems that no matter what part of the world that one lives in, one has problems with Animal life. In South Africa, we had problems with moles in the ground, here with Possums and In America, and I presume England, with Squirrels.

Another interesting thing is that all these animals have a purpose and beauty of their own but when they come into contact with humans can become a problem.

Also, although I’m not sure of Moles but I know both Squirrels and Possums, in days of old were used both for their pelts and their Meat in hard times, even though Possums are now a protected species here in Victoria. Because of this, a few people make a living out of catching and relocating troublesome Possums to another area.

All the above reminds me of life in general. Where ever you live and what ever you do, there will always be problems to either live with or overcome. They may not be exactly the same everywhere (Squirrels or Possums) but the end results are very similar, and can be destructive if not brought under control. (Destructive to property, even Human life and sometimes unhelpful competition to other animals or humans.)

Sometimes you have to bring in outside help to help you; sometimes you can do this yourself; at other times you can even turn your expertise in a certain trouble area into both a help to others and an occupation for yourself. (Possum Relocaters.)

So in bringing this to a conclusion, how do you see the Squirrels/possums in your Life? Something to be controlled yet enjoyed like with my American friend, whilst still enjoying her Birds?

Or something simply to be eradicated and removed permanently?

Or even worse, something that dominates and controls your life simply because you will do nothing to control it? Again over to You: Walter

No comments: