Saturday, April 21, 2007

Some Do. Some Don’t. So What Should We Do?

Although it is nearly a month since I shaved my beard off, there are still a few who haven’t seen me since then, and when they do they immediately comment on it.

At the same time there are still some who have seen me in that time but have not noticed any change. Or if they have, they have not commented on it.

The above responses mirror the normal attitude of the world in general. Some people will notice things and comment, others will notice and not comment, while yet others will never notice or comment unless something is specifically bought to their attention and they have no choice. So how then, should this affect our behaviour and how we live?

I don’t know about you and I really don’t know all the answers but here are a few of my thoughts on the matter.

1. We should never do anything just for attention. If we do do something, (or not do something) it should be because it is the right thing to do irregardless of whether anyone sees or comments.

2. Even if we think no one is watching, we should live and act as if the whole world is watching, because even if we never see or hear from them, there is very little we do that someone doesn’t notice.

3. Therefore everything we do should be done as if we have witnesses, and hostile ones at that.

4. If we are going to be watched, either for good or bad, but particularly for bad, then we should live in such a way that not only gives small offence but in a way that gives our enemies little ammunition to use against us.

I don’t often achieve that, but that is how I try to live my life in general. What about you? Walter

No comments: