Sunday, April 15, 2007

Maintaining Your Strength.

Whenever we (The Girls or me) take their two dogs for a walk around our neighborhood, the two of them take off like Bulls at a gate and pull on their leads and take a bit of controlling. If it is a short walk it is not too bad, but on a long walk, although they start out pulling like crazy for most of the Journey, they then they suddenly run out of puff and want to lay down on the job, or in George’s case be carried. If you give them a little rest, they recuperate quickly and you are able to continue on and get home again. Often by this time they have regained enough of their former enthusiasm to be again pulling and straining at their leashes.

What about you? Does that sometimes sum up your enthusiasm and energy? You start out well but quickly became tired and want to rest, and then simply charge off again, resulting in a lot of stop, starting all the time with little consistency and constancy?

Do you need to pace yourself a little better or a little more? In my youth, I used to start of strong and continue to the finish, but these days, it is not so, and I am finding out the hard way that I have to pace myself better at the start, if I want to still be going at the finish.

I have learnt that I may not be able to do as much as I used to, be I can still do a lot and make a worthwhile contribution, as long as I remember to pace myself properly.

How about you? Is age and weakening strength catching up with you too? Well that is no reason to stop or even despair. You too can long continue to make worthwhile contributions to the world, if you are prepared to learn your new weaknesses and strengths and pace yourself accordingly. On this occasion it really is all up to you. Over and out: Walter

No comments: