Saturday, April 7, 2007

How Dead Does It Have To Be?

Just before Christmas I glanced out my bedroom window at a lovely tree along our side fence and admired it’s lovely Russet tones. All of a sudden I realized that as lovely as they were these same russet tones were meant to be greyey-green and not russet at all.. Four years back I had in fact removed all the dead and dieing lower growth and left the higher living growth, but now it was all dead. I decided to say nothing and wait and see what response I got from the rest of our lot here. Well nearly 4 months on and not a response, but now, rather than looking lovely it is starting to look rather shabby and I will now have to act even if the rest have not noticed. Admittedly the rest are not really your gardening type like me, but it really has reach a stage where somebody should have noticed. Maybe they have but are waiting for someone else to comment first?

What about you? Do you really take notice of what is going on around you on a daily or regular basis? Or only in those things that concern or interest you?

And if you are aware of things? Or do you keep quiet until someone else brings it up and then say, ”Oh yeah! I knew about that weeks ago, but didn’t mention it?”

Sometimes, like in the case of my garden, this is no problem, but if it was to get so bad as to be in danger of falling and causing damage, it could even be deadly.

So while there are times when it doesn’t matter if we don’t speak up and even times when it is best not too, most times it is not only common courtesy but could even be life saving to do so.

So if you have to err, it best to err on the side of common sense and compassion.

What say you? Walter.

No comments: