Sunday, April 22, 2007

Dream Dog Or Queensland Holiday?

Recently one of my regulars came up to me at work and said she will see me in two weeks as she was going on holidays. I asked if she was going anywhere.

She went on to tell me that originally she and her fiancé were going on a holiday to Queensland to celebrate his thirtieth Birthday but he then decided to spend the money on his dream dog instead.

She was actually quite acceptive to this change of plans although she was lamenting on missing out on the holiday.

Now as one whose cousin, some 30 plus years later, still reminds me that I took my then Pup (Daisy) with me on my honeymoon, I am not going to argue with the guy’s thinking am I?

I might query the need to spend so much money on a dog, but choosing a dog over a holiday is really not all that silly.

I mean we had Daisy for some 14 years, where we got great value out of her companionship, her protection and her faithfulness. Assuming that this guy gets similar value from his dog, in the long term that will be far better value than a ten or twelve day holiday even if it is in Tropical Queensland, wouldn’t you agree?

So, how about you? Do you sometimes find yourself having to make choices that at first seem totally crazy? If so, carefully way them up, especially as to longtime benefits against short term advantages. You too might be like this young lady and accept that although it might not be her first choice, she can see the long term advantages over the short term loss. What say you? Walter

1 comment:

Lynx217 said...

Very good point. Dogs - and some cats - are excellent guards. And depending on the person, both are great companions. I'd much rather have an animal to curl up with after a bad day than take a few days off and be alone on that bad day!