Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Do Have A Go.

Recently I was asked by a Workmate to write a reference for him to be used as a character reference in regard to some legal problems he is having.

Although we don’t actually work in the same section, there is a certain amount of overlap in both duties and communication. And on more than one occasion I have had to directly call upon him for help and assistance. Sometimes outside of his required duties and obligations!

So although I don’t really know him that well, I felt I really could not refuse him, although I did try, by suggesting that he get his Supervisor to write it. He replied by saying he was getting him to write one too but wanted as many as he could get.

Later when I spoke to the Supervisor, he tried to get out of writing one by saying I could write one for the both of us. I told him that it would be better coming from his immediate supervisor, and especially as he knew him better than me.. He then replied that he had never done one before and wouldn’t know what to write. So I gave him some general pointers and encouraged him to have a go.

The character references were wanted for two days later and so on that day I was not surprised when the Supervisor showed me his Reference immediately upon my arrival. He wanted me to have a look before he passed it on to the one who required it.

I took a quick look at it and wondered whether I should tear it up. Either that or tear mine up! His was brilliant. It covered all that had to be covered and he did it well without gilding the Lilley at all.

For a so-called amateur, he made this so-called semi professional look like a real beginner on his first day at school.

All of this is not to disparage me but to encourage you to just have a go when you are asked to do something new. I am not talking about anything specific here, but if someone has enough faith in you to ask you to try something, then give it a go if it is at all possible for you. Now, you may not feel it is your gift or area of expertise, but if asked, at least give it a go.

It may be that your efforts will more often resemble mine than the Supervisors. But it is equally possibly that your efforts may be far, far better than you think, and rather than being an embarrassment to you, may very well be a very real help to the receiver. And often a help that they can’t get from others.

How about it? Will you give it a go? (Whatever “IT” is!) Please do. Walter

No comments: